Saturday, December 6, 2008
North Sumatra - Orang-utans
There's an orang-utan rehab center three hours away from Medan where orang-utans are trained to live in the wild. To visit we had to hike through the jungle. We chose the easiest trek available since my leg is almost recovered, but not 100% yet. Despite the lack of challenge, it was a good choice since we were lucky and managed to spot more than 10 animals.
First we saw a few gibbons with white hands. They looked like an elegant butler with white gloves. Then we saw several orang-utans that were waiting to be fed by the rangers. These guys have the expressions of an old lady, seemingly bored by the tourists and their cameras, scratching and inspecting their bodies for bugs, yonning occasionally. They were red, and rarely walked, preferring to hang from tree to tree instead. They are not very fast either, I guess because of their size (probably similar to a mid-teens person, or ~50 kg). I was hoping that one of them would make eye contact with me. I was hoping for that everlasting memory of a human-like look. But none of them cared, no eye contact at all. They generally glanced at me deciding that I wasn't worth wasting any time on; better to go back to inspecting their legs for bugs. The rangers feed them bananas and milk twice a day. The reason for a constant menu is so that they get bored of it and have the incentive to find food in the jungle by themselves.
Orang-utan means 'person of the jungle', very appropriate name given how close to a person they are.
As for me, I was happy to test my leg over a 2-hour trek and confirm its significant improvement. Almost fully recovered. Yeah.
Tonight is our last night in Indonesia. I'll miss this country, its been the most diverse we've been to, and I really really liked it. I'll rank it #1 so far in my personal ranking of favorite SE Asian countries to visit (of course, having a host like Maurita makes all the difference in the world).
Mercedes
First we saw a few gibbons with white hands. They looked like an elegant butler with white gloves. Then we saw several orang-utans that were waiting to be fed by the rangers. These guys have the expressions of an old lady, seemingly bored by the tourists and their cameras, scratching and inspecting their bodies for bugs, yonning occasionally. They were red, and rarely walked, preferring to hang from tree to tree instead. They are not very fast either, I guess because of their size (probably similar to a mid-teens person, or ~50 kg). I was hoping that one of them would make eye contact with me. I was hoping for that everlasting memory of a human-like look. But none of them cared, no eye contact at all. They generally glanced at me deciding that I wasn't worth wasting any time on; better to go back to inspecting their legs for bugs. The rangers feed them bananas and milk twice a day. The reason for a constant menu is so that they get bored of it and have the incentive to find food in the jungle by themselves.
Orang-utan means 'person of the jungle', very appropriate name given how close to a person they are.
As for me, I was happy to test my leg over a 2-hour trek and confirm its significant improvement. Almost fully recovered. Yeah.
Tonight is our last night in Indonesia. I'll miss this country, its been the most diverse we've been to, and I really really liked it. I'll rank it #1 so far in my personal ranking of favorite SE Asian countries to visit (of course, having a host like Maurita makes all the difference in the world).
Mercedes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment