Wednesday, December 3, 2008
Tuk-Tuk - Il bel far niente
The hikes around Bukittinggi and Lake Maninjau were beautiful, but challenging for my not-too-experienced self. Right through the jungle and slippery slopes, we got to see the big red flower, and I really loved the experience. However, the adductor on my left leg didn't, and it started hurting. So much that I was limping at the end of the day, and moving at a fat old (and limping) lady's speed. As much as I don't like to admit it, I realized that I needed to stop and not move for a while.
Our little rundown resort in Tuk-Tuk was the perfect place to (as Simon would say) 'take it easy' for a few days. It is extremely peaceful. In fact, we've only seen one other passenger in this hotel of 100+ rooms. So we've spent all of yesterday and today sitting around, sunbathing, watching the rain, reading, and doing nothing. Actually, I'm better at doing nothing than I originally thought. And it is working, by now I can move at the speed of a fat, but not so old, still-limping-just-a-bit lady. Its encouraging progress for just a couple of days.
In the meantime, Simon has shared most of his time seating by me, in what surely are the most boring days of his trip. Occasionally, he has been walking around town and reporting on the seemingly large population, significant amount of hotels and restaurants, but the scarce number of tourists. Unfortunately, he has not found a pharmacy that sells Tylenol, and I'm about to run out of supplies.
However, at $20 a night and $5 a meal for two, I think I can continue doing nothing around here for a while longer.
Now the plan is to take a few days to slowly make our way to Singapore and see a doctor there. Unfortunately, this puts the rest of SE Asia's itinerary at risk, which at this point was all Philippines. Arghhh. Unbelievable. Leg immobilized; fingers crossed.
Mercedes
Our little rundown resort in Tuk-Tuk was the perfect place to (as Simon would say) 'take it easy' for a few days. It is extremely peaceful. In fact, we've only seen one other passenger in this hotel of 100+ rooms. So we've spent all of yesterday and today sitting around, sunbathing, watching the rain, reading, and doing nothing. Actually, I'm better at doing nothing than I originally thought. And it is working, by now I can move at the speed of a fat, but not so old, still-limping-just-a-bit lady. Its encouraging progress for just a couple of days.
In the meantime, Simon has shared most of his time seating by me, in what surely are the most boring days of his trip. Occasionally, he has been walking around town and reporting on the seemingly large population, significant amount of hotels and restaurants, but the scarce number of tourists. Unfortunately, he has not found a pharmacy that sells Tylenol, and I'm about to run out of supplies.
However, at $20 a night and $5 a meal for two, I think I can continue doing nothing around here for a while longer.
Now the plan is to take a few days to slowly make our way to Singapore and see a doctor there. Unfortunately, this puts the rest of SE Asia's itinerary at risk, which at this point was all Philippines. Arghhh. Unbelievable. Leg immobilized; fingers crossed.
Mercedes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment