Monday, May 11, 2009

Istanbul






















If I ever live in Istanbul, I think I'll be ok, no chance of getting bored. This city is amazingly full of energy. A perfect respite from our 3rd world travels because it just feels like Western Europe.





I went out on Friday night with my local friend Ertugrul, who was nice enough to show me around Beyoglu and Istiklal street, the area where the city never sleeps. After dinner, we joined his friends for drinks, including "raki", the anise-based local favorite. This drink tasted much better than I expected, so I suffered the consequences on Saturday morning. Everyone was able to speak English, so I managed to mingle with the young and cool Istanbulians (sp?). Ahhh.... Always refreshing to stay out late.





Since I'm joining my NYC friends throughout Turkey, I'm staying at a hotel that is much better than what Simon and I are used to. Sebnem hotel is very cool, especially its rooftop overlooking the Bosphorus. Sultanahmed has something in common with Stone Town in Zanzibar: hotels have rooftops with sea views, so every morning we join the pilgrimage upstairs to get breakfrast. From our own rooftop we can see tourists in other hotels doing just the same. The morning sun and the views are totally worth it.





The NYC crowd is comprised of Bart, Eddie, Erick, Ines and Juan, so 3 Argentineans and 3 Americans. And we visited the touristic highlights: Aya Sofia, Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market, Taskim Square, Ortakoy, and Galata Tower. We even went to a hamam: boys and girls were separated in two different rooms completely covered in ancient marble. These turkish baths have been around for hundreds of years. There were several packages offered. Ines and chose one that included a massage, and since we had no clue of what it entailed, we just waited for directions from the hamam ladies that spoke very limited English. The entire experience lasted about an hour, I don't necessarily feel more relaxed, but hey, they kept advertising that it is one of the 1000 places in the world that one must see before dying.

We have every meal: lunch, coffee, and dinner, at a venue recommended by at least the "Style City" guide book, and most of the times, friends of friends that we have decided provide reliable culinary advise. There's no casual: "oh, this restaurant on the corner looks cute, let's eat there". No, every meal is carefully choreographed ahead of time. The result: all meals have been outstanding. Ah, travelling in style.
Mercedes

No comments: