Sunday, November 16, 2008
Kuala Lumpur - Pleasant Surprise
We didn't expect much, but we are impressed by KL's character, diversity, and cosmopolitan flare.
From the 21st floor of our absolutely-not-for-backpackers hotel we have an unobstructed view of the Petronas twin towers. They are spectacular. We went up to the bridge that connects both towers, which is the highest point allowed for tourists. For better views of the city, we climbed up the KL Tower nearby. As you can see, after spending most of the last months pretty much at ground level, we couldn't get enough of climbing to tall places.
As in most big cities in SE Asia, there is Chinatown and Little India. Also, as we've seen in most other SE Asian cities the main Hindu temple is in Chinatown. Why is that!? Mistery.
Chinatown is perfectly clean and has even expanded upmarket with full-fledged department stores.
It is really easy to get around in the elevated trains that connect the city. Nice to take a break from haggling tuk-tuks.
Although there are lots of big buildings spread out throughout the city, KL has a lot of green and parks everywhere. It really feels like a very livable city. Provided I don't have to wear a headscarf. :)
Tomorrow, the team is taking a planned break. Simon is taking the bus to Singapore. I'm jetsetting to Bali. We meet again in Jakarta next Sunday (I hope he meets me in Jakarta, what if he doesn't show up? ... ... ... I shall keep his favorite kiwi lucky amulet. That'll bring him back...)
Mercedes
From the 21st floor of our absolutely-not-for-backpackers hotel we have an unobstructed view of the Petronas twin towers. They are spectacular. We went up to the bridge that connects both towers, which is the highest point allowed for tourists. For better views of the city, we climbed up the KL Tower nearby. As you can see, after spending most of the last months pretty much at ground level, we couldn't get enough of climbing to tall places.
As in most big cities in SE Asia, there is Chinatown and Little India. Also, as we've seen in most other SE Asian cities the main Hindu temple is in Chinatown. Why is that!? Mistery.
Chinatown is perfectly clean and has even expanded upmarket with full-fledged department stores.
It is really easy to get around in the elevated trains that connect the city. Nice to take a break from haggling tuk-tuks.
Although there are lots of big buildings spread out throughout the city, KL has a lot of green and parks everywhere. It really feels like a very livable city. Provided I don't have to wear a headscarf. :)
Tomorrow, the team is taking a planned break. Simon is taking the bus to Singapore. I'm jetsetting to Bali. We meet again in Jakarta next Sunday (I hope he meets me in Jakarta, what if he doesn't show up? ... ... ... I shall keep his favorite kiwi lucky amulet. That'll bring him back...)
Mercedes
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment