Monday, May 25, 2009

Lawrence, Kansas - Wedding in the Mid West

A trip around the world is not complete without a stop in Kansas.

My friend Molly's wedding was the perfect excuse to introduce a 'little detour' to our travels. However, the wedding date was set after our world tour itinerary was decided. This means that I couldn't have been any further away from Kansas at this time. As a result, while travelling in the Middle East, I took a four-leg flight to the Mid West.

I knew that Molly was a very organized person, but this wedding took planning to the next level. The affair lasted several days, consisting of activities and events (most of them with food and drinks) scheduled one after another non stop. By the time brunch was over, the scavenger hunt started, followed by wedding, and then night drinks, etc, etc. No chance of getting bored.

My friend Lorena also came to Lawrence, so the fun was absolutely guaranteed to be non stop. I had a chance to catch up with friends that I hadn't seen in a long time, and to meet new people. The hosts were amazing and incredibly generous.

Pictures include a view of KU campus from Molly's home, bride + groom + wedding people, Lorena and I by the Kansas river, and the team that won the scavenger hunt challenge. Since I usually don't win in these types of activities, I want to make sure that I highlight this time that I did, thanks to a fantastic (and type-A competitive) team.

On the last day, Lorena and I paid a visit to our friend Tachi and his wife. They have a wonderful house just outside of Kansas City. (I can't believe that I forgot to take a picture with them). Despite the amount of food that we had had on prior days, both of us ate as if for the first time in weeks. They treated us to a barbecued steak with Kansas' most tender beef, the best lunch I had in a long long time. We confirmed what everybody knows: no trip to Kansas is complete without having a steak.

Now I'm at KC airport starting the multiple-connection flight that will take me back to where I was before. The plan is to meet Simon in Istanbul. However, my first flight has been grounded due to storms, so I bet I'll loose all my connections. Ahhh, U.S. air traffic...

Mercedes

No comments: