Saturday, June 20, 2009

Abu Dhabi - generous hosts

The best think about Abu Dhabi were our hosts. Marie Claude & Brendan went far beyond the call of duty: providing food, shelter, tour services, and plenty of entertainment.
We had met both of them at an altitude of more than 4,000m above see level when climbing Kilimanjaro in March. Maybe the success of such a hard expedition made a long lasting bond? Back then we had told them that we were going to visit the UAE and they literally opened up their house to us. So generous.
MC drove us around the city, came with us to the beach, and cooked home-made food. It's been such a long time since our last home-cooked meal!!! I was on the brink of tears.
We were even invited to their friend's birthday party. It started with a civilized dinner, continued with moderate dancing at the rhythm of a live band playing oldies, and was capped by hours of karaoke. See, last time I went to a karaoke I was a teenager, and my suspicion is that this might have been Simon's first time. But there we were: uninhibitedly singing with a wireless microphone each. At that time I thought we sounded like a "duet", but the following morning I grew convinced that it must have been a "double disaster". Now, the hosts had real karaoke stamina and kept singing until the morning's call for prayer. I was long asleep by then.
If we remember Abu Dhabi for its karaoke more than anything else, now you know why.
We want to thank MC and Brendan for their generosity, as well as their cats, Coco and Star, for putting up with us strangers (I guess the same applies to their friends at the birthday party :).
Mercedes

No comments: