Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Auckland in the land of the long white cloud

We don't have much to report about Auckland because, honestly, we didn't do much. In Simon's home town, we took the opportunity to spend time with his family. Days went by sleeping, eating, watching TV, and talking; in summary, feeling at home.

Spring weather is quite unpredictable, I was told. And it is true, we had sets of sun, clouds, and pouring rain, all within 5 minutes. But even when it is overcast, the place is bright. I'm convinced that NZ has the brightest and greenest grass in the world.

That said, we managed to do a few things. First, we went to a netball game. For those foreign to the Queen's Commonwealth like me, netball is a non-contact cousin of basketball played by girls in school; but the crowd was going crazy when the Kiwi adult national team, aka the "Silver Ferns", beat the world champion Australia. It was another fun chapter of my Kiwi cultural education. I could never be bored by lack of sports in New Zealand. There's always some game of something going on somewhere.

We also went to the beach, but it was too cold to swim, so we walked instead. I've attached pictures of places around Auckland: Piha, Karekare (the beach where the film "The Piano" was shot), and Buckleton. Finally, we took a ferry across the harbour to Devonport, and we got some nice pictures of the downtown skyline.

Auckland slowed us down, I mean this in a good way. It is such a laid back and livable city (for the most part, because we found a minority who overstresses and works long hours: you know who you are). All in all, we had a very relaxing two-week rest. Just what we needed before our upcoming crash with reality. Ouch!

Next stop: back to the U.S. It's time to earn money.

Mercedes

No comments: