Thursday, October 23, 2008
Luang Prabang - Alms Giving
Up before dawn to watch the daily alms giving in support of the local monks. It seems that the monks and novices from all the local temples show up at dawn in a long procession and accept offerings of food and flowers from devoted followers - and a few tourists as well.
They arrived right on time at 6 am and about 300 of them slowly made their way past, stopping to collect offerings as they went. It looked like they stopped at random, but I'm sure that there was a well-perfected method to ensure that no offerings went uncollected. Most of those in the procession were young novices, less than 10 years old. They looked as bleary-eyed as I would look if I had to be out on the street barefoot at dawn. It would take more than rice baskets and flowers to get me there every day!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment